Objective: To be aware of the dangers of not using PTO shielding.
Use PTO shields on implements for demonstrating the points in this training lesson. Point out the shields on a tractor with power take-off. Ask workers to give examples of mishaps that can occur when shielding is not in place. Review the true or false quiz.
Death or injury can result from becoming entangled with a PTO. In order to prevent injury or death, proper shielding must be in place. Replace damaged or missing shield immediately. If there are questions about the machinery, check with employer or equipment dealer.
Using Caution When Working with PTO Equipment
- Disengaging the PTO before getting off a tractor reduces the chance of slipping or falling onto a rotating shaft or getting caught in a moving part.
- Integral shields should move freely. When the power is off, the shield should easily rotate by hand. Repair damaged shield or bearings immediately.
- Keep the tractor PTO master shield in place.
- The equipment operator should wear close-fitting clothes and slip-resistant footwear. Rotating parts catch loose clothing easily.
- Never step across a rotating power shaft. Forage blowers, grinders, and mixers must run at full speed while the operator is working in their vicinity, so it is crucial to always walk around the revolving shaft.
- Never allow children around the equipment or work area.
Review the Following Points
- Keep all shields in place at all times except when servicing.
- Replace all shields immediately after servicing a PTO shaft.
- Never step over a working PTO.
- Always disengage the PTO before getting off a tractor.
- Wear close-fitting clothing when working around a PTO.
- Keep children away from a PTO.
About These Modules
The Ag Tailgate Training Series was developed by members of the Agricultural Safety and Health Program in the Department of Food, Agricultural and Biological Engineering. Revised by Dee Jepsen, State Agricultural Safety Leader, with editing assistance by Lisa Pfeifer and Cody McClain.
True or False Answer Key
Quiz: Power Take-Off (PTO) Shielding
True or False?
|1. Wear loose-fitting clothing when working around PTOs.
|2. Allow children to play around PTOs.
|3. Keep any shielding on PTOs in place or replace immediately after servicing.
|4. Stepping over a rotating power shaft is acceptable.
|5. Always disengage the PTO before getting off a tractor.